Things I am Thinking About Right Now...

  • 1. Finally Updated; A busy ( and not-so-birdy fall ) fall
  • 2. A smew in Ontario ??? And I got to see it !
  • 3. Thinking about summer vacation...
  • 4. And Sping trips too !
  • 5. Quite a few Winter rarities around. May try to add a few more to the list
  • 6. Still no snow on the ground...
  • 7. Project FeederWatch is going strong. Two eports submitted...
  • 8. I think I have convinced my wife to visit Cape May next summer !
  • 9. The Elephant Pepper Development Trust ( Check out their site ! )
  • 10. Tying to decide how to spend my remaining gift certificates !

Wednesday 6 July 2011

My native plant garden - Early Summer

With birding is a slow period, one can turn their attention to other things. Like looking for rare ferns(!) or working on my native plant garden at home...





Indian grass, Switchgrass, Hairy Beardtongue, Coneflower, New Jersey Tea, Prarie Smoke and Red-Osier Dogwood

The Beardtongue, Coneflowers and Switchgrass are native but I bought cultivated forms that are probably different than what you would find in the wild. However, the beardtongue and coneflowers have been great with attracting butterfliesfor the last couple of years. The Switchgrass has also been very successful and seems to help bring in birds ( especially during the fall )

Close-up of flowering New Jersey Tea

I have a few other native plants, scattered throughout my backyard. I bought a Highbush Cranberry three years ago and, after a slow start, it has really taken to its surroundings. This year it flowered for the first time and we are hoping for our first fruit this year.
I have a massive Red-osier dogwood that has grown to immense proportions. It is a bird magnet, both in terms of food and shelter.
I also managed to sneak some New England Asters a few years ago into the garden and they have repaid me every fall. Their flowers are amazing ( one of my favourites, actually ) and by attracting parrows and finches.


Highbush Cranberry




To the left: My thriving Red-osier Dogwood; To the far right: New England Asters

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Kids Faves

My Favourite Books ( Right Now... )