Things I am Thinking About Right Now...

  • 1. Finally Updated; A busy ( and not-so-birdy fall ) fall
  • 2. A smew in Ontario ??? And I got to see it !
  • 3. Thinking about summer vacation...
  • 4. And Sping trips too !
  • 5. Quite a few Winter rarities around. May try to add a few more to the list
  • 6. Still no snow on the ground...
  • 7. Project FeederWatch is going strong. Two eports submitted...
  • 8. I think I have convinced my wife to visit Cape May next summer !
  • 9. The Elephant Pepper Development Trust ( Check out their site ! )
  • 10. Tying to decide how to spend my remaining gift certificates !

Thursday 21 April 2011

Thickson's Woods and Lake Ontario

I've finally had the chance to do some afterwork birding this week. Yesterday, it was Cranberry Marsh. Today, Thickson's Woods.


@ Cranberry Marsh yesterday. The marsh was very quiet. A short walk to the shore of Lake Ontario revealed a lot of activity despite choppy waters. RED-NECKED and HORNED GREBES, COMMON and RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS, BUFFLEHEADS and a pair of DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS were the main waterfowl but once again the highlight was a swarm of swallows way offshore. Midges have been hatching and the swarms are quite large now, perfectly co-ordinated with the influx of swallows and ( hopefully ) the other migrants that will be arriving soon.
Just like last time, I was also able to observe a behaviour I've never seen before; the swallows were picking midges off the water surface. In some cases, the swallows seemed to land on the crest of a wave, pick off an insect and take off again. Very cool to see. The swallow swarm seemed to be mostly TREE SWALLOWS and BARN SWALLOWS.

@ Thickson's Woods today. Thickson's Woods is arguably the best site for migrating songbirds on the north shore of Lake Ontario ( up there with Tommy Thompson Park aka the Leslie Street Spit ). Most of the songbirds have not arrived yet. Only some early migrants were present, primarily HERMIT THRUSH and GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET. I only had time for brief walk but it was worth it. Can't wait for the next few weeks !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Kids Faves

My Favourite Books ( Right Now... )